Sunday, May 30, 2021

Free Fire Wood and Some Tips

I posted the following a few years ago as a courtesy.

"The wood indicated was left, left of the driveway at 5826 Lakeshore Drive.


Some of the wood is dead and mostly dry and light - great for fireplace or pit.

If you pick up this wood, out of courtesy, please take the entire lot and let me know you did so.

Thank you to those who have already helped us help our customers."

Most or many of you may know I prune and care for trees, usually smaller ones and I rarely remove large trees, but I occasionally work with larger trees and rather substantial branches. 

Nonetheless, when I do work with larger trees or their branches, I usually dispose of debris and rarely take such to a county recycling/dump facility. These are so far out of my way and with most of my customers being in Forest Acres or nearby in east Columbia (so thankful); it would be an avoidable added cost to my customers, in most cases.

I have a few upcoming projects involving larger trees and branches, some dead, some living. So, if you need or want fire wood for your indoor fireplace or outdoor fire pit, please let me know by responding to this article in the following manner and I will provide you with more information regarding the wood I may have.

Send an e-mail with the Subject being Fire Wood to service@back40.us with the following information:

Name
Address
E-mail Address

I will place you on an e-mail distribution list and notify all when I will have plant wood available.

There are some woods which are better for burning as opposed to others, but most any wood (once seasoned) is great for starting and maintaining a fire. I will simply indicate whether the wood is green or dead. See more below:
  • Dead wood is easily burned in most cases.
  • The type of wood may enhance the aroma while burning.
  • Seasoned wood, that allowed to dry for about a year (20% moisture retained), burns better.
  • Kiln-dried wood burns best, but cost more. I'm not offering that.
  • Dried or dryer woods reduce build-up of creosote in chimneys.
  • Split, halved or quartered wood dries quicker.
  • Wood to be dried/seasoned should be covered and protected from the rain.
I will be posting availability of wood from our projects.

If you are interested in fire wood for your fire pit or fireplace, please respond to this post.

We will deliver such fire wood and cut/split according to your needs on-site after payment and place where needed - garage, shed, covered rack, etc. There will be no fee for the wood.

Fees will be based on travel, quantity of wood, number of cuts (for drying and/or to fit fireplace or pit) and location to be placed.

Thank you.  


No comments:

Post a Comment