Monday, July 26, 2021

A Tale of Two Camellias

Camellia One - After
There was and is a property I have passed by, viewing, for many years, for which I had always shown praise for the wonderfully mixed variety of plants, their orchestrated placement and the maintenance of same. 

Then, one day, I received a call from the owner after she saw a presentation I had done over Zoom for the Richland County Master Gardeners. I would have preferred to have done so in person. Nonetheless, I was excited she contacted me.

In disbelief (I never know until I give a closer look.), she had at least two plants which needed to be addressed, two Camellias.



Camellia One - Before



Camellia Two - Before

They both had become unruly shrubs because of their unknown need to sprout suckers from their roots - not so common with Camellias or their brethren, Sasanquas. 

Some odd things happen in the plant world, even in the best conditions. One need only recognize such and respond accordingly.

It may take a few more months before these wonderful trees appear to be what they were meant to be, but they will. They are now on their way.

This was one of my most challenging and best-result pruning projects in the last several months and I wish to thank Karen and her husband for the opportunity. 

This is why I continue to do what I do. If I could only find these most-rewarding situations, year-round. I love pruning. It's where I live.

In the meantime. I will continue to address what needs addressing. Our scope goes well beyond the obvious. 

Coming Soon: Gardening and Plant Myths - There are Plenty

Camellia Two - After




No comments:

Post a Comment