Friday, March 11, 2022

Let's Raise Those Youngins Right

Through much study and a lot of experience I have learned to prune, as best as possible, many tree-like shrubs and younger trees for future growth, or to train them.

This training may be to accommodate their natural surroundings, man-made obstructions for which they were planted too close or simply their response to the path of the sun.

Or, it may be to take advantage of a specimen plant with ample environs in the most advantageous location on one's property - a place for that plant to truly stand-out and be noticed, and be healthy. 

The opportunity to do so depends on so much - the relative age of the plant and its placement, and more so, what care, lack of attention or abuse it has received.

I cut my teeth in this biz pruning japanese maples (like the one above); receiving much praise from the owner. Well before studying plant physiology, something in my eye and brain told me never to take a trimmer to or to shear these or many other plants I later encountered.

Later I began studying arboriculture, which led to studying horticulture. And, I have a feeling I always will be. I will need to. This is not a tiny field of study - a wonderful thing. I will die well before I have a grasp of all the world's plants (as if that's possible) and even so if I had begun this when I was six years old. Fortunately, understanding plant physiology is the key to pruning and most plant care.

I have rehabbed or restored many senior trees and shrubs, but the rewards are even greater when they are youngsters. This is when you get to coddle and influence them into later producing a more attractive look and a healthier condition. These rewards often come a few years later for the youngsters; yet, the results are awesome and very pleasing.

I have begun to do more of this as I have designed and installed plants and plant beds over the last few years, able to return, monitor and provide some additional pruning - training for the youngins.

There are ways to restore and beautify many other mature shrubs and trees like camellias, sasanquas, dogwoods, crepe myrtles and many, many, many others. This requires some thoughtful evaluation and I probably find more reward in these as the changes are more pronounced.

Many plants live, thrive and die an early death in a forest, a plain or a jungle, but that is their role in those environments. We choose a property with plants or introduce them to our properties hoping they will only live or thrive in the manner we envision.

Well, some may need some assistance for that vision to be realized.

Don't expect a plant to be what it is not...help it be what it can be.

Please go to https://shootsandmatters.blogspot.com/search?q=pruning for more articles about my pruning and other stories as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment