Sunday, October 9, 2022

A Huge Loss Blooms Immensely

My brother, Greg, passed away this month, 20 years ago.

My mother and/or I have placed a flower arrangement on the altar around this time of year for many years while also placing Poinsettias at the altar during the Christmas holiday. He, Greg, was born on December 17.

I saw this arrangement from afar this morning at service at Bethel United Methodist, our church. I thought it beautiful, but had not approached it.

After church service I went to retrieve it to be placed in my mother's home. (She typically donates these offerings to others.) I was tearing up...the beauty and the memory overcame me.

I was in awe as this is one of the most beautiful arrangements of plants and blooms I have ever seen. The mix of flowers, foliage and placement seems naturally-planned, superb. I deal with plants in natural settings and landscapes, not afforded these situations, but I can do nothing less than admire those who master arranging plants in this fashion, so well.

My brother's middle name was Coy and there is nothing coy about this floral arrangement, nor was my brother, yet both have this bold, but pleasant aura.

My exit from the church was impeded by many others who wanted to see the arrangement "just a little closer" and this continued into the parking lot.

My mother spoke with Sheryl, Bethel's Administrative Assistant, requesting fall colors while Sheryl also recommended bright colors because the backdrop for the apse is dark. Together they nailed it and De Loache Florist capitalized further to create this gorgeous arrangement.

There are still a few buds readying to flower and we'll gladly wait. 

 

10 comments:

  1. Greg, or as most of his peers called him, Mogie’, was a good guy. Don’t think I ever saw him in a foul mood, or angry. He was one of the most easy going guys I knew. Wow, twenty years. God rest his soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true.

      He was my closest sibling and I still have many memories of him.

      Left us way too early.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous arrangement. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sorry for your loss. The flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad I clicked on the link via Next Door . A wonderful post ! A long time close friend of mine does arrangements at DeLoache’s . I shared the link to your blog with her .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending prayers and hugs to you and your family 🙏🏻❤️🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete