Thursday, December 17, 2020

Moose Tennis...It Continues


Jason
Last Saturday was a chilly morning, complemented with very bright sunshine - several courts were filled by members of the herd. It was a wonderful outing of tennis.

This coming Saturday may not be so welcoming, weather-wise (I terribly hate cold weather, but not tennis.), so I hope those dedicated to the sport, and perhaps Moose tennis, will awaken, ready for a few hours on the tundra.

I can reflect upon on a much older herd several years ago across the river when we played for nearly three hours in what seemed to be some sort of constant precipitation, in cold climes, until it became dangerous. It seemed asinine, but we kept playing, laughing - having fun.

Many of you may know this, but dis ain't 'bout me. It's about you all and what Moose (Robert Kahle) began many years ago. Moose, with you, should run itself. The format should not, and will not change. 

I began this on this side of the river because of what I had experienced over there, on Lake Murray, a 30 year tradition - simply amazing; unheard of. Not for me, but I don't won't to see this ever end.

We have had so many new members over the last few months and our latest last Saturday, Joel Rodriguez - Thank You for coming out. It's always wonderful to experience another style of play or skill level. And, another personality. As if, we are short on personality.

Are we short of players? I doubt it. My contact list is about 40 deep. We have our regulars and the occasional-shows. That's fine...Moose - tennis when you can play. Actually, thank you to you all; this is stronger than when I left Moose after he passed away.

The beauty of all this is any player of any level or experience can participate. I never have, nor ever will I address (perhaps, if need be) someone for taking advantage of an opponent. Oddly, thankfully, most tennis players are good people (whatever the hell that means, but they are) and they keep things in check and make things fun, but challenging with lower level players and kick it up when the opponents are stronger players.

Okay, so last Saturday was great:

We had the addition of Joel and his slice/kick serve.

Mark was on-fire a few times and I shared in that with a few net shots which spooked me and my chiropractor - all's well. I'm a spinal maintenance junkie.

I over-heard Lee (Two-Ball) mention his tennis implosion as the outing progressed.

Henry, who has a great game, started half-stroking shots and things went south. Simply put...commit and follow through.

Carol (of Heebner-fame) had game, but she seemed hesitant about beginning her strokes - some timing issues. I guess.

Carolyn was doing her normal stuff, which I love - the slice, the undercut. But, many are also becoming savvy to her ways. Just ask the Cracker Barrel girls (Natasha and Q).

Mark and I had to call ahead to ensure Cracker Barrel never runs out of what they never run out of unless Tasha and Q show up before lunch time.

Last Saturday was fun. Let's do it again this Saturday at 9a.

Giddy Up!

P.S. LeAnn: Many of the herd have confirmed that "I've got it." is portend for a lost point. You're good. Whatever.


No comments:

Post a Comment