Friday, January 15, 2021

Sesame Tilapia with Capers

Firstly, the photo you see is not the dish I am writing about. It's a stock photo from a service I sometimes use. I made (first time) this dish, plated it (without taking a photo) and we enjoyed it all...all gone.

Secondly, this recipe could be used on most any white fish, not just tilapia.

Thirdly, I am not big on recipes; using or writing them. Give me a protein, a starch, some vegetables and a well-stocked refrigerator and/or cupboard of oils, spices and juices and that's all I need. I'll use the stove top and perhaps oven or grill and get busy having fun. 

My all-time favorite white fish was grouper (I lived on the panhandle of Florida a few times) and then I had Chilean sea bass (same family as grouper) prepared so damn well, but tilapia is a great alternative when one can't find grouper or the price gets a little crazy. I've lived in many coastal towns and miss buying fresh fish that just jumped out of the ocean, but tilapia can be found most anywhere and anytime of year, usually frozen.

The wonderful part of this recipe is that it is not complicated and you can modify some cooking methods to reduce the cooking time or take more time and enjoy preparing it among friends and family.

Ingredients (The Tilapi)

I can be technical and precise with some tasks, but "not gonna happen here". We aren't making a sauce (well, somewhat) or baking a cake. Use your nose, eyes and taste buds for this one.

Tilapia Fillets - I used six.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Garlic - 2 medium cloves (based on six fillets)

Sesame Seed

Kosher Salt

Lime Juice

Smoked Paprika

Dill (fresh, if you have it - I cheated this time with powder)

White Wine (Chardonnay, Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc, not port or sherry)

Capers

Instructions

Sprinkle smoked paprika, kosher salt and dill (or lay dill sprigs on) not to coat the entire fillet, on both sides.

Heat oil, just enough to cover the cooking surface, in a large pan (I used a 12" stainless steel pan with vertical sidewalls to accommodate the six fillets) on medium-low temperature.

Finely mince garlic or use a rasp, and add to pan.

Add sesame seed to pan imagining you are sprinkling and evenly distributing (not coating) amounts on each fillet.

When sesame seeds or garlic begin to lightly brown, add fillets. Sprinkle sesame seeds over fillets.

Gently add wine and lime juice, not to remove sesame seeds from fillets.

Cooking time should be roughly equal for both sides depending on thickness. I cooked some fairly thin fillets on each side for about 5 to 7 minutes. You are somewhat cooking in a light sauce and on this heat, the fillets will cook slowly. Meat should lightly brown. I check fish using a spoon on the bias instead of a fork to not break up (flake) the fish.

After turning, add the capers. Allow some of the brine from the jar or can to make it to the pan. Capers are a flower bud (not a berry) and I believe the flavor and texture is better if not cooked as long. 

When done, light brown and flaky, remove pan from heat. Hopefully the other elements of the dish are ready - fish chills quickly.

After plating the fillets you may wish to add more wine, lime juice and capers to the pan and return to a medium heat or slight boil and use a rigid spatula to mix in all the remnants. Remove from heat or simmer for just a few minutes to make a sauce to pour over the fillets. This may help re-heat the wonderful meal you just plated.

Oiled and Salted Baked Potato

Wash baking potato and dry with towel.

Rub with extra virgin olive oil.

Wash hands and rub with kosher salt. The potato, not your hands.

I usually bake a medium size potato for 35 to 45 minutes on 400 degrees, erring on the lower time and checking.

Or, I cheat and use the microwave (not as crispy a skin).

Wash baking potato and dry with towel.

Stab potato several times with the end of a cutting knife.

Rub with extra virgin olive oil.

Wash hands and rub with kosher salt.

Completely wrap potato in wax paper.

I usually microwave a medium size potato for 7 to 9 minutes, erring on the lower time and checking.

The steam produced by the moisture being held in by the wax paper softness the skin and the flavor is just as good, but in a lot less time. Yesss!

Side Vegetable

Choose one of your favorite vegetables or a salad. A green vegetable such as roasted or steamed asparagus or steamed broccoli adds color to the presentation. The choices are virtually endless.

Again, I cheated. I took some canned black-eyed peas and homemade collards from New Year's Day and mixed them together on low heat. I then topped with fresh chopped onion. Not my first choice, but one more left-over not left around.

I occasionally like to take frozen steam-in-the-bag vegetables (seasoned, or not) and saute them in a pan, the way I want them, after they have steamed. Another time saver, only better.

That's it. Enjoy that wonderful fish that never made it to grouper or sea bass status.

Or, go all out and kick up your favorite white fish.

Oh, whilst using sesame seed in a dish, I wish to mention a wonderful additive/enhancer, Sesame Oil.  I'm not going to get into all its different uses, but there are many - sauces, dressings, marinades, sauteing partner, on and on.

And, if you want a bolder and nuttier taste, try Toasted Sesame Oil. You won't need much of either. Smell a little sesame oil and then some toasted sesame - you'll appreciate the difference. I use the toasted version less often and it doesn't take much. A small 5 or 6 ounce bottle, depending on your age and how often you use it, may last a lifetime.

Or, not. Begin playing around with it, lightly, and you may find all kinds of ways to use it.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment