Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Joyous Japanese Maple

This is why I love what I do.

I refer to one my most recent customers, who has a wonderful property with a variety of healthy, beautiful, well-placed plants, most thriving (Mother Nature always presides). The owner is a consummate gardener, well versed in techniques and applications most master gardeners would envy, yet ever so humble and having a relationship with most every plant on her property.

I met her and her husband a few weeks ago to prune and shape a row of camellias, clean up their bed, re-establish the bed border, prune a tree and bring down and lightly shape a few camellias along a walkway.

The next project was working with a camellia, a row of screen shrubs and having the opportunity to lightly prune and raise the canopy of a shino cherry tree.

I had been eyeing this fringe leaf japanese maple since I first met them and visited their property, only hoping this wonderful, but stuffy, crowded, muddled and too busy of a tree would be on my task list. I love working with japanese maples.

One day, after consideration of or for other work I had done, she mentioned this japanese maple I had been waiting to get my hands, pruners and loppers on.

Before I show you the pics, proper pruning, even for artistic or aesthetic goals, requires the proper technique for not only the immediate result, but consideration for the future of the plant.

The following is what occurred.

These are two images of the japanese maple, prior.
















This is the outcome.


I wish to thank J and J, knowing I won't be needed to work on their property frequently as they are still so active and enjoy doing so, themselves.

I adore these two and love being on their property, both appreciating nature and me appreciating what they have done with same.

1 comment: