Sunday, August 20, 2017

Eclipsing the Eclipse

I love nature, the outdoors and I have taken a few unwise risks in my life.

Also, I hate missing an event such as the total eclipse of the sun, coming tomorrow.

Yet, I am one very visual person - I imagine most of us are. I have often thought, if I have to lose any of our given senses, sight would be the one which would have the most adverse affect on my life.

Whether substantiated or not, there are too many reports about which glasses are suitable for viewing the eclipse, from partial beginning, to totality, to partial eclipse ending. There are reports of Richland County issuing glasses which are not adequate and I am no alarmist, but my eye site takes precedence.

I got my glasses at a Richland County library. This not being such the point, but I am not assured even the properly marked glasses are adequate to protect my eyes. Not to be cynical, but in the world we live in - what are the risks for the manufacturers? What would it take for you or me to prove we were not provided what we paid for or received in-confidence?

Being what I love about nature and what I do for a living, I am going to choose to look the other way and concentrate on how the partial eclipses and total eclipse change the landscape and the activities of our wildlife.

I am certain many videographers and naturalists will be doing the same for recorded history. Simply looking at the event without observing its effects would simply be a waste of time. Otherwise, it's quite the same as looking at the photo above - saying you saw the event is simply being an inhabitant of earth. Take some photos of how this eclipse slowly shadows our world on an otherwise daylight occurrence as the earth does its thing. Then do the same as the moon gives way to the sun. We will be going from sunset to sunrise in about three hours.

All the visuals we will experience here, in our communities' landscapes, man-made and otherwise, will be so more awesome than seeing our little sister get in the way of the big guy for a few minutes. It may not be the same experience, but you will have plenty of time to see the eclipse over and over again on almost every venue available.

I've seen a partial eclipse before and what I saw taking place at my feet and along the coastline was much more interesting than watching the sun partially blotted by the moon.

What will happen around you on earth may be much more interesting than something happening, originating from, about 94 million miles away.

You are probably going to experience more little things, such as crickets chirping, frogs croaking, perhaps a raccoon scampering across your lawn and obviously, some humankind doing things they otherwise wouldn't be doing this time of day. This is a welcome change.  

If you observe the eclipse directly, do so safely, but don't forget to enjoy the effects on the landscape surrounding you.

No comments:

Post a Comment