Thursday, August 16, 2018

A Majestic Friend Along for the Ride

I have been labeled the shrub whisperer and bush master by a few (more later, not important) and I have not had much issue with those insects we most often fear when I am working in or among shrubs or trees.

Luck, karma - I have no idea, but I somewhat know those critters which can cause harm and those which are less likely to do so.

If one can truly adore an insect other than those gorgeous ones (bees, butterflies and others) which help pollinate those plants we love and provide us much more than beauty, food, it's this majestic form - the Praying Mantis.

I went for a ride today on my bicycle, and he or she (I'm not researching this.), decided being an ornament on my front light was a good place to show off - not characteristic of a praying mantis, as they are usually quite stealthy, waiting to pounce on less suspecting insects. Perhaps there was a relationship I never anticipated.

For the purposes of this story, it, the praying mantis is a female, simply because I believe females are kinder creatures.

I went into a convenience store to pick up a few things and I felt she was still there, somewhere in my hair. I asked the cashier and she said, "Yes, that thing is still in your hair."

I was flattered. For some reason, I believed she would make it all way home. She did.

Some two miles later, approaching home, I felt she was still with me, and she was.

I brought her inside for awhile while I pulled what I needed out of the refrigerator to make dinner.

I later walked out with her on my shoulder to crack a beer, have a smoke and visit my shed for tomorrow's projects.

This was her opportune time to get back to where she prefers and she bounded off of my arm.

I have a feeling, some similar experience, will occur again.




No comments:

Post a Comment