Tuesday, October 16, 2018

An Early Scare - Utility Right-of-way Tree Trimming

Last Friday I was coming into my neighborhood and noticed a tree service vehicle to the right of the neighborhood about where power lines run along one side.

The power lines don't service our neighborhood - our utilities are underground. But, they do basically run along the rear property lines of several homes.

I figured they'd make it to my place in a while. I was here several years ago when they did this and was not pleased.

They have their marching orders and not much is going to change. There is no way to get any large heavy equipment into the back yard so three guys came back, one with some climbing gear and extended/pole loppers. I tried to speak with who I thought was in charge, but the communication gap was not going to narrow at all. I just backed off and watched.

The target was a yoshino cherry tree, which is at least 20 years old, has shot hole disease and starts dropping leaves late in July, but it is beautiful up until then. It has three co-dominant stems which shoot off at about the same angle. I recently took one stem out as it goes over the fence into an undeveloped forest and invites vines (I can't get to.) to itself and my neighbor's sasanqua.

He decided to climb one of the stems (I believe a different tool could have been used from the deck below.) and the first few cuts looked good, but then it appeared they were just out of convenience. Subsequent cuts were kind of willy-nilly - "Okay, wherever." I wasn't going to bother this guy while he was up the tree, but I did point out a branch for him to make a better cut on, from the ground, and he did.

This is not about slamming any tree service company - I know several owners. Their marching orders are from the utilities, but I believe they are meant to comply with the proper pruning techniques of ANSI A300.

I thought we were done. Nope. He starts eyeballing the gorgeous crepe myrtle which is about 30 feet tall with a 30-foot spread. I believe they have a fifteen-foot rule when it comes to proximity to power lines, so it was a candidate, but marginally. All of the cuts on my crepe myrtle were indiscriminate and I will need to make some repair cuts on it and the yoshino.

So, off I go with a variety of saws and loppers to get things right.

If you need such work done after a visit from the utility tree trimmers of for any other reason, call me at 803-553-5757, use the Contact Us feature to the right or go to https://www.back40.us/contact.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment