Friday, December 28, 2018

The Project from Hell...I Loved It

Fire Pit Area and Walkway
Actually, this was not a project from hell, but with the due date and the foreboding weather, things got a little dicey - well worth it.

We had already performed seven or so projects on this property and helped to or brought in a few more. We truly appreciate and enjoy working with the owners.

Well, this project was proposed last February and with so many other projects and their life and schedule this one was put on the back burner. Oh, it is the back burner. Ha!

Sometime in the fall, several weeks before the Carolina and Clemson game they had mentioned having it ready for such day and then there was mention of an oyster roast and a wedding anniversary. I was somewhat confused about the dates of said events and then realized they all shared the same date. There was to be a Carolina-Clemson Game Oyster Roast Wedding Anniversary Party. Say that three times fast, or even once.

Flagstone Walkway Project - Beginning
This had been taking place since their first anniversary. How could I possibly have not known this? In what cave in Forest Acres had I been living.

Okay, so I was confident some of week prior to the week of the event and some of the week of the event would easily accommodate completing the project, knowing I could juggle a few projects which had no due date or urgency.

Mother Nature had not one iota of concern for my plans and immediately put a damper on this project. During the week the rains wouldn't cease I received an invitation to the CCGORWA Party (too long to type anymore). Then I felt the pressure and my RSVP was: I will only attend if I finish the project and am happy with the work.

Fire Pit Area and Walkway
There are some advantages to doing a flagstone walkway using non-polymer sand in regard to future maintenance and modifications, but you need to re-sand, water in and adjust a few times. I completed the project on the Friday before the CCGORWA Party and these finishing touches were not going to be possible.

I was not completely finished, but the show had to go on and after remembering how the late afternoon sun bounced off of the really old rusty sugar cane kettle, I wanted to see (RSVP: I'll be there.) how this would light up the walkway area with a fire ablaze...and, it did. 

I also met two wonderful families who seemed, for the most part, to be one huge wonderful family, and their friends as well.

So, this truly wasn't a project from hell.

Thank you, E and J.

Flagstone Walkway Project - BeginningP.S. Please don't forget about possibly installing some large stepping stones to the vegetable garden - we can handpick some consistent and finished stones and still allow for a wheelbarrow or cart without creating a continuous path. It'll look great.



No comments:

Post a Comment