Friday, August 2, 2019

Every Little Step We Take - Landscaping Projects

When I began Back40 several years ago I could afford to dedicate almost an entire week to certain projects. Now, it's a different story and actually, for the better.

Other than routine maintenance, emergencies or seasonal plant concerns, most of what I do is not time critical. Also, most customers enjoy seeing areas of their property transformed over time and seeing things evolve. There are also budgetary and other concerns for not doing it all at once.

I prefer working on segmented projects for several reasons. Yet, mostly, sometimes, one simply has to step back and see how the change to one area affects the entire property.

This latest project was one of many and most likely, many more. The property owner was referred to me by another customer and when I met her and visited her property I knew there was much to do and she was anxious. Properties and landscapes, particularly those for which time has been well spent or those handed down are to be enjoyed and sometimes slight changes become drastic ones.

The property owner and I now have a wonderful relationship - not something I expect from, nor deserve on any level.

I have performed so many little projects on her property, from laying sod to pruning trees and shrubs to taking out small trees and advising her as to what her yard guy should do next. Upon completing a project for her I am usually asked, "What's next?" - something I usually ask. Hopefully, both of us will be around for a while, so I usually respond with, "I'll stop by soon and we'll see." We are both comfortable with this and expectations are tempered. I believe the results justify such patience.

I will leave you with some before and after photos from the last few months.

The first was the sodding of an area of her lawn which I knew received ample sunlight and planting a japanese maple (Lucy - she beat me in naming it.) and the latest was the installation of some shade and partial-sun plants - japanese holly ferns, a painted japanese fern; stain glass, patriot and paul's glory hostas, and two amethyst gold lenten roses.

We also transplanted a struggling loropetalum to the center of the stone formation.


Before

Before

Before

After

After

After

Every Little Step

I grew up dancing and I still do. I love when dance and hip hop music was fun and was about just that. 

Hit it, Bobby! I can still out dance you.



No comments:

Post a Comment