Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Really Goud, Gouda Mac and Cheese

A few weeks ago some of the tribe got together and eventually what to do for Thanksgiving came up. As for the menu, after hearing the other ideas, I offered to make Mac and Cheese, but with Gouda cheese.

Within minutes my sister had found a recipe for Gouda Mac and Cheese and after a brief description, I said, "Send it." It sounded it great, but I was in no mood for details at the time. I'll share a link to the recipe in a moment.

I had an evening get-together coming up in a few days and I usually cook wherever this group of misfits meets and all I could think of was, guinea pigs. Yesss!

After perusing the recipe, I printed it and did some shopping. It helped that the recipe also called for Smoked Gouda as well.

Mainly a stove-top chef, I don't fret much and roll with the recipes and what I know, but I reviewed the steps, looking for anything which may call for some close attention and timing - this primarily dealt with the roux, the bechamel and when to add the cheeses.

Well, I threw myself into this and can usually manage a kitchen pretty well, but next time I'm doing things differently - what a mess. I usually have most tools and vessels clean by the time I'm finished cooking. I hate doing that crap later - rather enjoy the meal and company. Let the dishwasher handle the rest.

Somehow, although I felt the recipe was in charge as opposed to being the master of my cooking, it all turned out great - the flavor and being cooked properly. But, it wasn't creamy enough for me and, as much as I love Gouda, particularly Smoked Gouda, I want some Cheddar in my Mac.

I did add four strips of crumbled bacon (not in the recipe), but next time I am using six. I usually microwave bacon - one less greasy pan to deal with.

Use pasta shells and work the sauce in well if you want every bite to be cheesy.

What I am doing/not doing next time (Thanksgiving):

  • Subbing one cup of shredded gouda with sharp cheddar. We grew up with that taste and I expect it.
  • Adding half and half and/or milk after I have added the cheeses to make it wetter and creamier.
  • Using traditional bread crumbs instead of panko. I want a little more crunchy texture on top.
  • Not browning the bread crumb and spice mixture - It's tedious and easy to burn unless you bake or toast it. I'll hope this happens when I put it the oven for about 30 minutes just before serving.
  • Sprinkling cheddar cheese on top just before it goes in the oven.
  • Preparing the crumbled bacon and pasta ahead of time, and cleaning up.
  • Using one large deep-sided pan for creating the sauce and finishing the entire dish. You will need to distribute the roux/bechamel/whatever more so as you cook if the pan is larger than the burner.
This may seem like much to do, but the dish is wonderful. And, if you follow a few of these tips it will seem more sane, go quicker and you'll have less mess.


Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment