Saturday, May 2, 2020

An Early Morning Flyover

I had just stepped out on the side patio a little after 7 a.m. with a cup of coffee when all I heard was very rapid wing flapping.

I looked up and away and saw this Canadian goose coming in hot, very hot.

Flying just high enough to avoid any obstructions, it barely cleared a crepe myrtle and all I saw was its underside as it passed directly over me, very low.

He or she was not gliding or doing that graceful wing undulation when geese are cruising around or migrating. This was an all-out F-14 ('Goose' of Top Gun) attack profile. There was no honking or hissing, but rather this very fast tempo growl.

There were maybe two seconds from sight to sight-unseen as it cleared the front to back yard and disappeared in a slight opening in the woods that lead to the pond on Dalloz. From the sound of it, there was a commotion down on the pond.

I hope nothing serious occurred at the pond, but there was definitely some serious urgency in this flyover. I've seen geese and swans angry as can be on water or afoot, but nothing like this.

I'd like to feel I was somewhat privileged to have been at such a place at the right time to experience something I probably will never again, but I feel the cause may have been one of danger.

1 comment:

  1. 4 families with gosli gs on our pond, so there is definitely more commotion, they are so protective. Add to that impatient drivers trying to hurry them across the road by beeping at them, which by the way, has no effect.

    ReplyDelete