Monday, April 8, 2019

Dwarf Japanese Maples - From Barren to Looking Like a Shaggy Dog in Only Three Weeks

Dwarf Japanese Maple, After Pruning
Dwarf Japanese Maple, After Pruning
Thanks to my original, first customer, who got me involved in the business I now call, Back40, there is not much I need to research regarding japanese maples - this is my number one plant I love to prune.

I cut my teeth, so-to-speak, on japanese maples, before I studied plant physiology and how this relates to proper pruning. This was the equivalent of a jeweler working on diamonds before cutting on some rubies and sapphires.

I am still and will always be thankful to her.  Several years ago she said, "You have a knack for this." This is really where this journey began.

There are so many varieties and sizes of japanese maples on her property, all nicely placed - she has her knack for that - the balance.  I have names for many of them and the largest I call, "Mother'. She is a beautiful 25 footer in the front portion of the front yard. I inherited her when all I had to do is slowly raise the canopy and take care of dead, interior, crossing and diverted branches. She is gorgeous.

I also tend to all the other japanese maples on her property. Whether technically trees or not, most japanese maples have tree structure and form, even the dwarf japanese maples.

Dwarf Japanese Maple, Before Pruning
Dwarf Japanese Maple, Before Pruning
But the dwarfs, these girls (All japanese maples, to me, are female, regardless of anatomy.), have no problem putting out leaves, new branches and extending branch shoots at the first sign of warm weather and the slightest sunlight. It's amazing - these gorgeous things can go from zero to 90 in only two weeks and one week later look like a shaggy dog, or perhaps, a wet mop.

What's needed? Some well-thought pruning and much consideration for future growth. Yes, there needs to be some thinning cuts made, but that's not the only answer. When pruning a non-dwarf japanese maple I still have to make decisions about where and what to prune, but they aren't as busy as with dwarfs.

Most dwarf japanese maples have a severe drooping habit and this is not from the weight of foliage. The major branches from the main stem start heading south. So, if you see me on your property, on my back, looking up the skirt of your japanese maple, just laugh and realize I'm doing what is necessary.

She'll be gorgeous when I'm done.


No comments:

Post a Comment