Friday, July 15, 2022

Thankful...Woefully

 

I was contacted by the daughter of a customer of mine to tell me that her father had recently passed away.

He owned a rather expansive and interesting property garnished with many beautiful plants, many he had selected and planted. He knew his stuff. The perimeter of his plot of land was a misery, overwhelmed by neighboring property’s plants and weeds, ignored and neglected by their owners. This is supposedly, at minimum, a neighborhood of affluence, yet few seemed to care for their own or the lake/pond which was becoming a natural mess since the flood of 2015 and the reluctance to repair the road and/or dam.

Everything beyond his ownership and the perimeter of his property was out of control, and much, encroaching his property. Bernie first hired me to address much of this. And, most of this was grueling work which I had done before. Fortunately, there was an opportunity to prune some of his plants for health reasons and future growth. Yet, not much was about aesthetics – most was about control. Bernie knew this.

Yet, we had many discussions about plants. Again, he knew his stuff. Bernie was pleasant and interesting, not looking for the next fantastic thing to do, but a sound and pleasing project. He shared much of his knowledge and love of plants with me. I helped him with some concerns about a garden he was to plant on his own.

I pruned two humongous clusters of azaleas (It took two whole days.) a few summers ago on Bernie’s property and other than being exhausted (I couldn’t dodge the sun.); it was the first time I ever felt I was physically in jeopardy. It was worth it. I’m still here.

I met Bernie about four or five years ago. The last time I visited his property (I never saw him during such visit) was several weeks ago to pick up a donation of seeds/nuts for another customer who had interest in the same plant. I wish I would have seen and spoken with him. He’s a wonderful guy.

I had purchased and planted a Chinese Umbrella tree for his birthday. This would not have occurred had he not invited me to his 80th birthday party. I was flattered and it was an enjoyable event as I met all the wonderful friends and family of Bernie’s. We had a great time. The adoration I had for Bernie was exemplified by so many in attendance.

During a phone call, before I came over to retrieve the seeds/nuts, he mentioned how well that “birthday tree” was doing. I had forgotten which plant that was, but I found it. It was the Chinese Umbrella tree.

Somehow I ended up on Bernie’s friend list. Otherwise, I would not have been notified of his passing.

I’m still flattered, honored. Thankful I ever met him.

Bernie Gaudi, I’ll be there, one day.

We’ll build a garden or plant something interesting so we can see what it does. That’s half of it, right? Yes.

Peace…

 


No comments:

Post a Comment