Monday, April 3, 2023

Lady Banks Rose...Redux

 

Lady Banks Rose - March 2023
This is a Lady Banks Rose, after some (much) rehab. I believe I brought up wanting to work on her while doing another project on this property I love. (See "A Tale of Two Camellias".)

Mrs. "B" gave me permission to do so while hubby, "T", was cooking some delicious "Q" back on the smoker. (This initial thing is fun.) I have been the recipient of some of this fine pork product as well as some of the three tasty sauces he also makes. His hash is heavenly, as well. Don't dare ask for any 'cause it ain't for sale. You're either "In" or you're going home on an empty stomach - the price is privilege. And, I got that...yeah. Ha!

Lady Banks Rose, July 2022 - Before Pruning
Oh, the Lady Banks: This particular diamond was definitely roughing it. This lady had become a tramp. She was being held up by 8, 10 or 12 (I stopped counting) trellises (crutches) as if her next stay was going to be at assisted living. She was a mess - a big blob of previous beauty bending the iron of the trellises as she reached out everywhere, often to the ground. (See "She's a Lady. Well, Perhaps Not So Much.")

So, I got to work. I could have simply made a few easy cuts to take her almost to the ground, but it would have been another two to three years before she would have shown off like this. I did so last July. Yes, you can do this that time of year if you know what you're doing. I performed some thoughtful pruning with consideration for future growth.

Lady Banks Rose, July 22 - After Pruning
After she saw the results of my work, Mrs. "B" seemed concerned as to whether or not Lady Banks would recover. And, 7 months later, voila.

Could she use a well-grounded arbor? Sure. Or, I can prune her majesty a few times a year and she can hold court all on her own with the natural look. Of course, this may also provide me the opportunity to receive more "Q" from "T".

If you have an "LB", take care of her with some "TLC" or she will become a "BIT..". Never mind.



1 comment:

  1. Well done, thou good and faithful tender of plants.

    ReplyDelete