Monday, October 26, 2020

Little Lawns...Big Beauty

Both of these properties possess beautiful and substantial homes, on enviable, yet small lots, leaving not much room for much of a lawn. Yet, both owners have and still maintain some of the most diverse and well-designed vignettes, plant beds and border plants out of my portfolio, as if it I can take credit for such.

They both live in the same community; know one another and I don't know if that affords me anything. But, knowing they have similar love and interests in their properties and their plants there-about, makes my job more enjoyable, and challenging. 

I have pruned several trees and shrubs on this property and planted and transplanted several plants and worked on other aspects of its landscape, yet nothing compares to what the owner has provided to accent the home, not to mention the wonderful herb garden and the continual diversity of flowering and fruit producing plants, such as key limes.

There is so much color, textures, and so many blooms occurring on this small, but beautiful piece of land, most every day of the year. I pride myself on my knowledge (always studying - knowing I will never know it all) and here is where I don't mind being the student.

This is a controlled oasis. He may laugh. It's a huge task, but it works. He loves his toils. Oh, the rewards.

The rear of this property, nearest the pond, is interesting and beautiful, as well.

Before I go further, I must say, owners of such properties are not so demanding - the plant life they orchestrate is. 

I have worked on the next property you will see for the last four years. It has large stands of evergreens, a gorgeous cluster of azaleas flanked by some oak leaf hydrangeas in addition to some loropetalums and some cypress hugged by a few sunshine ligustrums. There are also roses and beds of asiatic jasmine which I have shared photos of so many times. It's comforting. The lantanas, which one cannot ignore, were kicking during this photo.


The customer has a screen porch, not far at all (just out of photo shot), and I recently stumbled across her resting along a couch in the recent cooler weather. Who could blame her? This is a comfortable facade of taller shrubs and trees with lower lying perennials and the occasional annual which makes everything work so well. Who wouldn't relax?
I must also mention the front of the property which has the wonderful banks of pittosporum, some beautiful crepe myrtles, a huge berry tree surrounded by an ivy bed and another hardwood with a well-manicured bed of asiatic jasmine. There is a very proud lady banks rose along a wall and confederate jasmine twining the ironwork on the brick wall along the driveway. 


There are inlaid brick borders which define
every area of the backyard and a wonderful stone walkway (not shown); while the front has a beautiful broad tiered walkway leading to an entryway with the rise of the steps covered in manicured fig ivy.

Don't get me wrong, I still find myself taking a liking to most any landscape condition, hoping to see the customer realize the changes and restoration for them or me to capitalize on and enjoy as time passes.

Life Plant Life is Good!





No comments:

Post a Comment