Sunday, November 29, 2020

Pruning for Health Reasons...Oh, What a Difference


Two Months After Pruning

I featured a plant bed (garden) on this property in Beauty for which I Cannot Take Credit.

A few months ago I had removed and transplanted some plants and pruned to clear an adequate space for the installation of and a privacy fence seen in the background.

During such time I mentioned how much unwanted growth was inside the azaleas, for which the customer was well aware. She had also mentioned pruning back the pittosporums to expose the stacked-stone border.

We agreed to remove all the unwanted growth, by root if feasible, while also pruning for health reasons and lightly for aesthetics. I did so back in early September.

Before
Most of the growth and foliage you see in the azaleas in the before picture is not a part of the azaleas. And, you will notice there are not many blooms. Look at the blooms two months later.

As for the pittosporums, I could have easily taken a trimmer to them (I never do, in any case, with pittosporums.) and taken them away from the stone and crowding the other borders. However; in the not-so-distant future, they would have been more of a mess than what I was already dealing with. 

Using proper technique and planning for future growth direction was a much wiser alternative. They looked hacked and naked on the one side after pruning, which was unavoidable, but they will grow back and fill-in with a more natural look. Later, you will notice they were beginning to put out new growth.

Pruning, After - Two Months Ago
I rarely propose pruning anything, whether pruning for aesthetics or shaping, without pruning for health reasons, unless I am simply using trimmers on certain shrubs purely for aesthetics as routine maintenance during the growing seasons. In and of itself, pruning for health reasons always makes for a more attractive and healthier shrub or tree.

There is a lot going on inside many of your shrubs that you will not notice by only trimming them.

Pruning effectively should involve an objective, along with a plan. 

I love the Halloween display the owner placed in the space now available. I have a feeling there may be other holiday features here or perhaps some colorful annuals over the next several years. I'll keep the pittosporums at bay when need be.




No comments:

Post a Comment