Friday, November 27, 2020

Where Credit is Due - An Affordable and Effective Carpet Cleaner

 

I pay a premium for most of the tools and materials I use in landscaping and plant care - it's my profession.

I can't say I always do the best when selecting tools and equipment for my home, but I do try to make an educated decision. 

The living areas in my home are mostly hardwoods; however, a hallway leading to four carpeted rooms has gone from this light camel color to almost brown. My thought was to hit the high-traffic areas and clean the rooms, but I didn't want to deal with all this in one day. I didn't want to pay for a service or rent a cleaner - I wanted to do this on my own time, my schedule, and get a little more focused. 


I researched many carpet cleaners; then found and studied the Bissell HeatPro 2X Revolution, and purchased one. I checked most providers of this product and compared prices. Bed Bath & Beyond's price was already competitive and even after paying the $29.00 fee to join Beyond +, the price still came in below the competition and I received free shipping. Beyond + offers 20% off all purchases (You don't need the famous BB&B coupons.) and shipping is always free. After beating the competitor's prices the discount also paid for the Beyond + membership.

The product as packaged does come with a sample size pet stain and odor plus bacterial formula and one for urine elimination, but you will need to purchase the primary cleaner. I was surprised that I didn't see the need to do so on either the Bissell or BB&B web site, or either I missed this. Verify before you purchase so you don't receive the cleaner, all excited about using it, not realizing you have no cleaning agent. I was able to buy a second bottle of cleaning agent (I haven't yet used.) at Walmart - one more room to go and some upholstery and area rugs.

I don't have pet issues and although I saw the results of using it for pet issues on a few YouTube videos, I was impressed by its overall cleaning ability.

I love the vacuum cleaner format for ease-of-use as opposed to other boxy and cumbersome units. It weighs about the same or less than my Bissell vacuum cleaner - I can't tell. As if we were comparing cars; the carpet cleaner actually handles better and seems more balanced.

The best part about this product is: It works. I did a test run on a heavy traffic area and the results are amazing. That light camel color is now, once again. I later finished the hallway and two rooms - completely impressed. It was great seeing all the dark brown water in the dirty water bin.

I was thankfully surprised that areas I thought I may have to pre-treat or need the CleanShot feature for came clean with a few more or slower passes over the carpet.

Although it didn't reach all the way to the baseboards, it got closer than I imagined. However; those edges receive much less traffic unless you have a pet who loves to snuggle up against a wall (and everything else), like my black lab from many years ago.

After a while, it's not difficult to get into that I'm dancing kind of mode you may with a vacuum clear, yet slow down and be more methodical. However; feel free to do so after you have followed the cleaning instructions and simply want to pull up more moisture for quicker drying. 

I used the Deep Cleaning or Max mode (never tried to understand the difference between the two) using much more water and cleaning agent than needed for Express Clean mode, so the drying took longer - longer than quoted. But, that's okay, as the results were well worth it.

After deep cleaning what is needed I look forward to staying on top of this by using the Express Clean mode.

The HeatPro 2X Revolution has a few other features which make it easy to use.

A Few Thoughts
  • The unit was easy to assemble and seems well constructed. Time will tell with the latter.
  • It comes with an upholstery, stair and pet attachment. I have used neither, yet.
  • Will the clean get dirty, quicker? Historically, many carpet cleaning agents would cause your carpets to look dirtier sooner, after cleaning. This depends on the chemicals used; how much is applied and how wet; and how well the cleaning device removes the residue and water from the fabric. Have to wait and see. 
I am impressed, but I will still register it as I do with most anything.

Do I believe the results warrant the price of the product and the ease-of-use? Yes.

Check it out and give me your thoughts if you purchase one and use it.

I'll follow up with how it works on area rugs and furniture upholstery.


No comments:

Post a Comment